Every year, schools across New South Wales are invited to participate in Operation Art, an initiative of The Children’s Hospital at Westmead in association with the New South Wales Department of Education. The Operation Art program provides a forum for schools and students to demonstrate their visual arts achievements through exhibitions at the Armory Gallery, Sydney Olympic Park and the Art Gallery of New South Wales.
Accepting entries now for 2021!
Closing date 31 May 2021
Government schools log in and apply via Operation Art 2021 (also The Arts Unit Community tile in staff portal).
- Use your DoE staff login.
Non-government schools first need to register your details.
- You'll receive a username via email.
- Log in to The Arts Unit Community (Non-government) and find Operation Art under 'Programs'.
- Non-government - how to apply
- Apply for Operation Art in TAU Community
- Create student artwork participant forms
- Detailed Operation Art 2021 help guide (including videos)
Conditions of entry – Please read before applying
"As some exhibited works will eventually be hung at the Children’s Hospital at Westmead, we ask that special consideration be given to ensure that the artwork submitted is uplifting and does not contain material that could be considered culturally sensitive in nature".
Ivy Baddock, Art Curator, The Children's Hospital at Westmead
- Entries for Operation Art are only accepted from NSW schools.
- Each school may submit up to four (4) artworks from any student in Kindergarten to Year 10.
- For collaborative works, a maximum of four (4) students per work may contribute to creating the entry.
- minimum A4 (30 x 21cm)
- maximum A2 (42 x 60cm)
- maximum depth 5mm.
- Please note, we are unable to frame works over 5mm deep.
- Please do not laminate works.
- Please do not use BlueTac on works.
Need ideas for artworks?
- Government schools are charged $95 for each artwork.
- This will be Direct Debited from your school.
- Non-government schools are charged $135 each artwork (incl. GST).
- Please use the Payment portal.
Why participate in Operation Art?
- All student artworks are framed and exhibited at Sydney Olympic Park from September 2021.
- 10,000 visitors view the exhibition.
- 120 works are selected for further exhibition opportunities.
- 50 works are selected for a tour series and given to the Children's Hospital at Westmead.
- Students discover purpose in artmaking by creating art to help children in hospital.
- You can start your own gallery at school when the framed works are returned.
- All students are recognised with printed certificates, invitations and catalogues.
- Creative students can receive broader public recognition as star artists at the Sydney Olympic Park opening event.
Sending us your artworks
- Download the Artwork release form.
- Paperclip this form to each artwork.
- Write in pencil on the back of each work:
- Student name.
- Year and school.
- Use supportive packaging to post artworks to:
Operation Art - The Arts Unit Corner Toothill St & The Boulevarde, Lewisham NSW 2049
How does the exhibition happen?
Find out about how the Operation Art Exhibition works.
Help and support
Please refer to the Apply for Operation Art in TAU Community help guide with videos and detailed instructions.
For Operation Art program issues or enquiries, please contact:
- Operation Art firstname.lastname@example.org
If schools have any technical issues using The Arts Unit Community portal: