Every year schools across New South Wales are invited to participate in Operation Art, an initiative of The Children’s Hospital at Westmead in association with the New South Wales Department of Education. The Operation Art program provides a forum for schools and students to demonstrate their visual arts achievements through exhibitions at the Armory Gallery, Sydney Olympic Park and the Art Gallery of New South Wales.
ACCEPTING ENTRIES FOR 2020 Now! - CLOSING DATE 3 July 2020
I would like to encourage you to participate in the 2020 Operation Art Exhibition. As a way of keeping students engaged in visual arts, we are planning to create an online exhibition of submitted works for the 2020 Operation Art Exhibition.
Whilst normal selection processes may not be possible at schools, we’ve developed some ideas about how you can encourage your students to stay involved with the program.
- Teachers can nominate artworks which have already been created in class this term or in the latter part of 2019 and send the original artworks to us.
- Ask children who are learning at home to create artworks and submit photographs of them to your school. The Operation Art contact teacher can consider these when selecting up to four entries.
- Students who are learning at school can participate as usual.
Artworks will be framed as usual and works will still be selected for the Touring 50 Exhibition, or for exhibition in regional hospitals and government buildings.
Those works which are not selected for an award will be returned to schools in their frames and can be exhibited in the school space.
If you have any further questions as to how you can keep your students creatively engaged in visual arts, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Below is a link to The Arts Unit digital engagement site, which will provide you with some online resources inspired by artworks submitted to the 2019 Operation Art Exhibition.
Conditions of entry- Please read carefully before submitting an entry:
Curatorial Brief "As some exhibited works will eventually be hung at the Children’s Hospital at Westmead, we ask that special consideration be given to ensure that the artwork submitted is uplifting and does not contain material that could be considered culturally sensitive in nature". Ivy Baddock, Art Curator, The Children's Hospital at Westmead
- Entries for Operation Art are only accepted from NSW schools
- Each school may submit up to four artworks from any student in Kindergarten - Year 10
- For collaborative works, a maximum of four students per work may contribute to creating the entry.
- Size: Minimum A4 (30 x 21cm), maximum A2 (42 x 60cm), maximum depth 5mm. Please note: we are unable to frame works that are deeper than this limit. Please do not laminate works. Please do not use Blue tac on works.
- for Government Schools is $95 each artwork, This will be Direct Debited from your School
- for non Government Schools is $135 each artwork (inc GST). Please use payment portal link:https://open.artsunit.nsw.edu.au/teacher/payment
- All artworks framed and exhibited at Sydney Olympic Park from 15th October, 2020 (provided galleries have re-opened after the COVID-19 pandemic).
- 10,000 visitors view the exhibition.
- 150 works are selected for further exhibition opportunities including 50 selected for a tour series and then given to the Children's Hospital at Westmead.
- Gives students real purpose for their artmaking - creating art to help children in hospital.
- Start your own gallery at school when the framed works are returned to you.
- Provide broader public recognition for your creative students.
- All students receive printed certificates, invitations and catalogues.
- Come and be treated like a star artist at the Sydney Olympic Park opening day event.
Submit Your Works:
- Download an Artwork release form for each Artwork: ARTWORK RELEASE FORM
- Using supportive packaging post Artworks with ART WORK RELEASE FORM paper clipped to the back.
- Write in pencil on the back of each work : - student name, - year and school.
- Post Artworks to:
Operation Art - The Arts Unit Corner Toothill St & The Boulevarde, Lewisham NSW 2049
- Every School to fill in the online entry form which will be available as a link here from 29 May:
- PAYMENT: - All government schools will be Direct Debited - NON gov schools must pay via the payment link above
Creating your work:
How it Happens: