Operation Art offers a series of practical workshops presented by specialist visual arts tutors. These workshops are designed to extend participants' skills and artmaking experiences beyond the classroom. Students who display a higher level of engagement in Visual Arts will benefit from these challenging opportunities. Schools are not required to send a teacher to supervise their students.
Workshops cover a variety of different topic areas including drawing, painting, printing, mixed media and sculpture. Workshops run from 9:00 am to 2:30 pm. Students will participate in three visual arts activities during the day. All you need to bring is recess and lunch and a paint shirt to protect your clothing - equipment and materials are supplied and all works will be sent home with the students at the end of the workshop. Parents are invited to view the student's work at 2:30 pm in a mini presentation.
Drop off and pick up are to be arranged by parents and are not the responsibility of the school.
Cost per student $50.60 (inc GST)
Bookings from parents can only be accepted once the school has registered a contact teacher. Following school contact teacher registration, we will email the teacher the parent information form for circulation.
2021 Workshop Dates
Wollongong Art Gallery
46 Burelli Street
Wollongong NSW 2500
Stage 1 (Years 1 and 2) Tuesday 11 May 2021
Stage 2 (Years 3 and 4) Wednesday 12 May 2021 (Workshop full – bookings closed)
Stage 3 (Years 5 and 6) Thursday 13 May 2021 (Workshop full – bookings closed)
9:00 am to 2:30 pm
Stage 1 (Years 1 and 2) Tuesday 22 June 2021
Stage 2 (Years 3 and 4) Wednesday 23 June 2021
Stage 3 (Years 5 and 6) Thursday 24 June 2021
9:00 am to 2:30 pm
2021 Virtual Workshop Dates
This year, Operation Art and The Armory Gallery are very excited to once again offer virtual artmaking lessons to class groups of students in Years 1 to 6 in NSW public schools.
Students will be taken on a virtual excursion as they enter The Armory Gallery through the eyes of the camera to view the 2021 Operation Art Exhibition, and then participate in an interactive artmaking lesson.
Session dates - Wednesday 15 September to Friday 17 September 2021
Session costs - $220 per participating class group
Bookings are limited so please use the following link to secure a place for your class as soon as possible.
- Booking link - the link will be published once session times are confirmed.
This virtual excursion will address the following visual arts outcomes for each relevant stage:
Stage 1 Outcomes
- VAS1.1 - Makes artworks in a particular way about experiences of real and imaginary things.
- VAES1.2 - Experiments with a range of media in selected forms.
- VAS1.3 - Realises what artists do, who they are and what they make.
Stage 2 Outcomes
- VAS2.2 - Uses the forms to suggest the qualities of subject matter.
- VAS2.4 - Identifies connections between subject matter in artworks and what they refer to, and appreciates the use of particular techniques.
Stage 3 Outcomes
- VAS3.1 - Investigates subject matter in an attempt to represent likenesses of things in the world.
- VAS3.2 - Makes artworks for different audiences assembling materials in a variety of ways.
- VAS3.4 - Communicates about the ways in which subject matter is represented in artworks.