Latest Competition News
Unfortunately we won't be able to select a Combined High Schools team to represent us in 2020. We'll be back bigger and better than ever in 2021 with a firsts, seconds and thirds team for the first time, but until then, best of luck with your studies!
Rules of Competition
- Competitors must be from Years 11 and 12.
- Teams are comprised of 4 members.
- Speakers are to speak for 8 minutes with a warning bell at 6 minutes, 2 bells at 8 minutes and a continuous bell at 9 minutes.
- The topics will only be disclosed, and agreed upon, immediately prior to preparation time.
- Teams must prepare their debates within a predetermined time limit of one hour.
- A win in the Firsts is awarded a score of 3 points, and a win in the Seconds is awarded a score of 2 points. No points are awarded for a loss. At competition’s end, each of the competing teams will have a score out of 15.
Stages of Competition
- Students are nominated by coaches and adjudicators and selection trials take place on Saturday 29 June at the end of Term 2 at The Arts Unit, corner of Toothill Steet and The Boulevarde, Lewisham.
- Selected students participate in a series of coaching sessions.
- The 3 competition debates take place in Term 3.
- Firsts and Seconds debates are held simultaneously in the evening at a host school. Parents, friends and people interested in debating are encouraged to attend.
Medallions and CHS ties are awarded to team members of both the Firsts and the Seconds, and the NSW Representative Debating Cup is awarded to the Champion representative team.