Resources for debating and public speaking
Professional Learning eResources
All speaking competition professional learning resources can be found on the Arts Unit Digital Engagement webpage (Speaking Competitions).
Art Bites - informative videos
We've got heaps of short videos available that are full of advice for students of all abilities. 'Debate Club' videos are straightforward workshops on different skills and aspects of debating, and while they're grouped for either primary or secondary debating most of the 18 videos will be useful to any age group.
'Defining Moment' videos are again grouped for primary or secondary debaters, with each of the 18 videos working through the set-up for a popular 2019 debating topic. Finally, the 'Stop Rebutting Yourself!' series features our most experienced adjudicators looking back at a speech from the days at school and talking about how it might have improved before rebutting themselves. View the videos by categories (below) or view all debating and public speaking Art Bite videos here.
- Primary School 'Debate Club' videos
- Primary School 'Defining Moment' videos
- Primary School 'Stop Rebutting Yourself' videos
- High School 'Debate Club' videos
- High School 'Defining Moment' videos
- High School 'Stop Rebutting Yourself' videos
- Public speaking 'Impromptu-ing with the Stars' videos
- Public speaking 'Stop Adjudicating yourself' video
Creative Classes - interactive lessons
These Creative Classes turn the above Art Bites into step-by-step interactive lessons that you can complete with your students or set as tasks for your students to complete themselves. You can use these lessons on an interactive whiteboard, computer, tablet or smartphone. The Creative Class websites work best in the Google Chrome internet browser.
Creative Classes for primary (Years 5 to 6) and junior (Years 7 to 8) debaters:
- Roles and rules of debating
- Best manners (speaking skills)
- Discovering definitions
- Crafting persuasive arguments
- That's debatable! (rebuttal)
- Ready, prep, debate!
- Deep diving into definitions
- Marvellous mechanisms
- Considering responsibility in debates
- Characterisation in debates
Public speaking Creative Classes:
Creative Teachers – teacher resources
Creative Teacher websites are comprehensive and interactive resources for NSW teachers involved in debating and public speaking. These websites work best in the Google Chrome internet browser. We are developing Creative Teachers resources in the following areas:
- Coaching primary debating
- Coaching secondary debating (coming soon!)
- Teaching and coordinating public speaking (coming soon!)
Creative Teachers websites utilise the above Art Bites and Creative Classes in addition to providing you with a number of other valuable resources e.g. printable activities, host teacher checklists, example rubrics and templates.
Debating and public speaking finals
You can view videos of recent state finals by heading to the relevant competition page on our website.
Taking The Initiative
Useful information about the conduct and adjudication of debating and public speaking activities for teachers and students.