Every year schools across New South Wales are invited to participate in Operation Art, an initiative of The Children’s Hospital at Westmead in association with the New South Wales Department of Education. The Operation Art program provides a forum for schools and students to demonstrate their visual arts achievements through exhibitions at the Armory Gallery, Sydney Olympic Park and the Art Gallery of New South Wales.
2018 ENTRIES NOW CLOSED - The 2018 Operation Art Exhibition will officially open on Saturday 15 September at the Armory Gallery, Sydney Olympic Park at 10:45am.
Conditions of entry- Please read carefully before submitting an entry:
Curatorial Brief "As some exhibited works will eventually be hung at the Children’s Hospital at Westmead, we ask that special consideration be given to ensure that the artwork submitted is uplifting and does not contain material that could be considered culturally sensitive in nature". Ivy Baddock, Art Curator, The Children's Hospital at Westmead
- Each school may submit up to four works of art from any student in Kindergarten - Year 10
- For collaborative works, a maximum of four students per work may contribute to creating the entry.
- Size: Minimum A4 (30 x 21cm), maximum A2 (42 x 60cm), maximum depth 5mm. Please note: we are unable to frame works that are deeper than this limit.
- for Government Schools is $95 each artwork (inc GST), please note we will direct debit the school. There is no need to send payment.
- for non Government Schools is $135 each artwork (inc GST). Download payment form for non gov schools.
- All artworks framed and exhibited at Sydney Olympic Park on Saturday the 15th September, 2018.
- 10,000 visitors view the exhibition.
- 150 works are selected for further exhibition opportunities including 50 selected for a tour series and then given to the Children's Hospital at Westmead.
- Gives students real purpose for their artmaking - creating art to help children in hospital.
- Start your own gallery at school when the framed works are returned to you.
- Provide broader public recognition for your creative students.
- All students receive printed certificates, invitations and catalogues.
- Come and be treated like a star artist at the Sydney Olympic Park opening day event.
Rural and Remote Subsidy
As part of The Arts Unit's support of the Department of Education's Rural and Remote Education blueprint for action, we are excited to be able to offer a Participation Subsidy of $40 to participate in Operation Art to rural and remote schools (Follow link and download complete list, column AF shows rural and remote status) Submit a request for subsidy by email to Operation Art. firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: If interest exceeds available funds, allocation of the participation subsidy will be prioritised based on remoteness. Subsidies will be confirmed with acceptance notification.
Creating your work:
How it Happens: