The State Dance Ensembles program provides tuition and performance experiences which complement and extend individual school and regional dance ensembles programs. The program is open to students from Years 7-12 in public schools from across NSW who CANNOT attend weekly rehearsals in Sydney. Successful students participate in dance training and rehearse dance works created for them during 4 weekend workshops held in Sydney.
2018 Applications are now CLOSED
How to Apply:
1. Complete Application & Endorsement Form
2. Provide a head shot (school photo of passport); and
3. Email a YouTube link of yourself performing 2 contrasting solo dance items no less than 1 minute in length
• Submit your application to email@example.com due Friday 27 April
• The Selection Panel will view all the video audition on Tuesday 1 May
• Students/parents will be notified of their success by Friday 4 May
There will be 4 intensive compulsory weekend workshops held in Sydney through the year:-
No 1: Term 2 - Friday 29 June-Sunday 1 July 2018 (3 days inclusive) @ The Village, Alexandria Campus.
No 2: Term 2 - Saturday 28-Sunday 29 July 2018 (2 days inclusive) @ The Village, Alexandria Campus.
No 3: Term 3 - Wednesday 12-Thursday 13 September 2018 @ Dance Central.
(This workshop is on during the State Dance Festival in order to learn new work specifically commissioned for the group. The piece will then be performed as a part of the 2018 State Dance Festival.
No 4: Term 4 - Sunday 18-Monday 19 November 2018 @ DUTO Studios (TBC).
(This workshop is on the weekend prior to Schools Spectacular in order to rehearse for the 2018 Schools Spectacular.
By being a member of the 2018 NSW Public School State Dance Ensemble, all students will perform at the:-
• State Dance Festival (10-14 September 2018) held at the Seymour Centre AND
• Schools Spectacular (23-24 November 2018) held at the Qudos Bank Arena
The yearly ensemble fees cover the hire of regular tutors and the supply of costumes (all prices include GST). Students will need to cover the costs of their own travel and accommodation if needed:-
• Yearly Membership $580.00 (Metro & Non Metro Sydney)
• Yearly Membership $300.00 (Rural & Remote)
• Ensembles Jacket $60.00 and/or Training Singlet $20.00 (optional extras)
Rural and Remote Subsidy:
As part of The Arts Unit's support of the Department of Education's Rural and Remote Education blueprint for action, we are excited to be able to offer a Participation Subsidy of $300.00 (including GST) to students from rural and remote schools to attend the State Dance Ensemble. Please note: if interest exceeds available funds, allocation of the Participation Subsidy will be prioritised based on remoteness. Successful subsidies will be confirmed with acceptance notification.
Further enquiries relating to the State Dance Ensemble should be directed to Suzie Rix or phone 8512 1179.
The Arts Unit Website & Facebook Page:
To stay up-to-date with student and teacher Dance opportunities provided by The Arts Unit, check the website regularly and follow our Facebook page for program updates, events, new Arts Unit Learning Hub resources and opportunities www.facebook.com/TheArtsUnit.