About the composition competition
School students of all ages were invited to compose a melody and enter it in the International Jazz Day 2019 composition competition. Entries were considered by an expert panel and the joint winners have been announced as Flynn Poppleton and Naomi-Nogawa-Lewy as selected by Herbie Hancock. Read more about the winners here
A big band arrangement of the winning entries will be made available to schools shortly and will also become the theme of International Jazz Day:
About the competition:
- This competition was open to all school-aged students - Kindergarten to Year 12.
- Students were asked to create a melody only - no lyrics, no harmony.
- There was no set length for these melodies.
- Students could submit entries in a number of ways (up to 10mb):
- PDF of hand written or computer generated manuscript.
- Photograph of hand written or computer generated manuscript.
- mp3 or M4A of a sung, played or computer generated melody.
- A virtual excursion with James Morrison to support student participation in this competition was broadcast on Monday 12 November 2018.